Thursday, July 24, 2008

It is My Turn to Post!

People have been questioning where I have been lately, so I thought I would fill you all in on what has kept me busy as Husband studies for the Bar Exam. I have been putting in a lot of hours at work. A good friend once said (and he may have been quoting someone else, for all I know) “I go to work and stay late, not for the job I currently have, but for the job I want.” That has been my philosophy these last few months and thankfully it has paid off.

While the rest of the economy is starting to take a downtown, my company is continuing to strive (knock on wood) and we are opening up new offices. As of this past week I have officially been told that I will have the pleasure of running the financial aspects of one of our foreign offices as well as managing one of our most lucrative clients that gives us business in all our offices. What does this mean? Well besides the long hours, headaches and stress - this will mean that I get to learn a whole new financial system and attempt to implement it into our new office (that is the aspect I am most looking forward to). Once I have the system down and know what I need to do, I will then have to get our office setup with efficient, cutting edge procedures so that all financial processes, from A/R, A/P to Reporting, can run as smoothly as possible. I will then help hire more accountants and managers to run the day-to-day tasks. This new position is a huge obstacle in front of me, but I cannot wait to get started.

As you are undoubtedly aware, all companies have politics - I am sure to hit some speed bumps as I attempt to take control away from our “mother ship” and give us more control and power. Within the next two years, all American offices will be switch over to this new financial system that I am implementing in the office I will oversee. With me learning this system ahead of time, I will be better prepared to know what will need to be done so that we can successfully switch here in the US. My goal is to eventually become finance director of all of our world-wide offices (a position that does not yet exist) and lead the way for future expansion (Asia … here we come).

So besides work keeping me busy, I have been sorting out all aspects of our impending move. It is more complicated than one would think. The first task was to find a new place to live in the city that was close to both Husband’s firm and my office. Mission Accomplished. The next challenge is to decide what to do with all of our stuff that has been calling a storage shed home for the past nine months. On top of all that I need to pick out a new bed and that is something that leaves me completely spellbound (I welcome any advice on beds). These fun tasks (plus a visit back to where we lived for the last three years, and a business trip to our foreign office) will be keeping me busy for the next month.

Husband recently just celebrated a birthday and unfortunately he had to spend his second birthday in a row studying for the Bar Exam. I'm not sure that spending 13 hours studying in the library is his ideal birthday celebration. This will also be the second year in a row Husband will be taking the Bar on our anniversary. I anticipate this will be the last time Husband takes a Bar Exam. This is the last big test he will ever have to take. That has to be an exciting feeling! (I must admit I am a little envious he is done with school as I have still another year or so left of my MBA). It is fun and exciting times here in NYC!

No comments: